Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
 
06-10-08 Minutes
 
 
June 10, 2008
                                                                                   
 
 
            The Waterfront Commission held a regular meeting on this date at the Town Dock meeting room.  Members present were Sandy Grimes, Chairman; Arthur Medeiros; Ethan Grimes; Randy Minor; Rose Raffo; Bill Robinson.  Mike Grimshaw was absent. Members met with Tucker Bragdon and Ed Dear of the Stonington Small Boat Association at the SSBA site to discuss the fencing.
 
Chairman Grimes called the meeting to order at 7:07 p.m.
 
Previous minutes

Mr. Minor made a motion to approve the minutes of the May meeting as presented.  Mr. Robinson seconded the motion and voting was unanimous.
 
Treasurer’s Report

Mr. Medeiros made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report as read.  The balance in the WFC account is $275.00.  Mr. E. Grimes seconded the motion and voting was unanimous.
 
 

Unfinished Business

 

Stonington Small Boat Association
Members discussed the request to expand the boat storage area and update the fencing after meeting with the representatives from SSBA.  Mr. Minor made a motion to approve adjustments to the Stonington Small Boat Association boat/kayak storage area.  This includes the option of moving the fence location East to West 5 feet to the North with a new fence to match the existing playground fence.  This is also to include a buffer and safety precautions as discussed at the site to accommodate for the playground users.  These adjustments are to meet every specification given by CL&P.  Mr. Medeiros seconded the motion.  The motion passed 4 to 1 with one abstention. 
 
 
Dock Area housekeeping – Mr. Medeiros reported that all is ongoing.  Dock clean up has been scheduled for June 25, 2008.  Members discussed the meeting to be held Monday, June 16 regarding the ice machine.  Mr. Medeiros planned to attend; Mrs. Raffo and Mr. E. Grimes will also try to attend.

 
Maintenance items

            Seawall – George Sylvestre had responded to the request for precautions at the Dock, he feels SNEFLA, the Police Department, the Shellfish Commission and the SHMC should be included as stakeholders in any future meetings.  Members agreed to invite George to a future meeting.
 
South Dock extension – Nothing to report.

 

Donahue Park – Members discussed the funding for the soil remediation. 
 
  
 
New Business

 

Mr. Mederios reported that he had received a call from the New London Chamber of Commerce.  The fishing boats in New London would like to purchase ice from the Stonington Town Dock and truck it back to their docks.  He stated that he made them aware of the outstanding debt to the SNEFLA from the boats that moved to NL and payment of this debt was necessary before any arrangement could be made with regard to the purchase of ice.  He added that the price of gas and ice are higher in New London than at the Stonington Town dock. 
 
Mr. Mederios reported that a meeting with the Police has been scheduled for June 12th to discuss the Blessing of the Fleet.
 
 
There being no further business to come before the Commission, Mr. Robinson made a motion to adjourn.  Mrs. Raffo seconded the motion and the meeting was unanimously adjourned at 7:45 p.m.
 

                                                                        Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

                                                                        Ethan Grimes

                                                                        Acting Vice Chair/Treasurer
 
 
lp